A bar clamp is one of the most versatile tools you can have in your shop. While most people think of them as a way to clamp two pieces of wood together, they can also be used as a spreader.
Converting a Bar Clamp into a Spreader
Step 1: Select a bar clamp that will fit into your project. Choose a bar clamp that’s sliding bar is a little bit longer than the gap between two surfaces but not too large.
Step 2: One jaw of the bar clamp is always removable. Remove that jaw from the bar and reverse the face of the jaw. Then put that jaw into a sliding bar in the opposite direction.
Step 3: Now, your clamp has been converted into a spreader. Check that the two jaws are at an equal distance from the edges of your project before you start working.
Step 4: Place the clamp between the two surfaces of the project where you want to create pressure.
Step 5: Adjust the screw to tighten or loosen the amount of pressure being applied by the clamp.
By converting it into a spreader, you can create even pressure on both sides of your project, making it easier to work with. Give it a try on your next project and see how it can help you get the job done!
Tips and Tricks
1. When using a bar clamp as a spreader, make sure that the jaws are at an equal distance from the edges of your project. This will ensure that the clamp is applying pressure evenly.
2. If you need to apply a lot of pressure, you can use two bar clamps as spreaders. Place one on each side of your project and adjust the screws until the desired amount of pressure is achieved.
3. If you need to apply pressure to a small area, you should use a small bar clamp.
4. Trigger clamp performs better than bar clamp as a spreader.
Know More: Best Spreader Clamps for Your Next Project
Frequently Asked Questions Are Answered
1. What is a Bar Clamp?
A bar clamp is a tool that is used to apply pressure to two pieces of wood, holding them together so that they can be worked on.
2. What is the Difference Between a Bar Clamp and a Spreader?
A bar clamp is designed to apply pressure to two pieces of wood, while a spreader is designed to apply pressure evenly across a surface.
3. What is a Spreader Tool?
A spreader tool is a tool that is designed to apply pressure evenly across a surface. This can be useful when working with wood, as it can help to prevent the wood from warping or splitting.
Always use good quality bar clamps and spreaders to avoid any mishaps while working on your projects. Be sure to read the instructions that come with your tools to ensure that you are using them correctly. With a little practice, you’ll be able to use both bar clamps and spreaders like a pro!